Saturday, January 26, 2013
Back by popular demand! Our all-church Day of Service will be held on Saturday, January 26, 2013. Come to the Fellowship Hall at 8:15 a.m. for breakfast and a short devotion, then join your project team at 9 a.m. to go out and “Change the World” into a better place. (In the process, you’ll be changing yourself as well, as your heart is warmed by the experience of serving your neighbor.)
You will be able to choose among the following projects (but it’s first come, first serve, so sign up early!):
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano – Sort and box donated food at Food Bank warehouse in Concord. The Food Bank provides food to more than 132,000 hungry people in need every month.
- Monument Crisis Center – Pack rice & beans into ziplock bags. (On LUMC campus) Monument Crisis Center helps those in need through a variety of programs, including the distribution of food to Contra Costa residents five times a week.
- Juvenile Hall of Contra Costa County – Clean up weeds and overgrowth in outdoor area of the Hall Closet, a thrift shop that funds services for kids in Juvenile Hall.
- Bay Area Rescue Mission – Prepare and serve lunch at BARM’s Richmond facility. Bay Area Rescue Mission helps the homeless and needy through a variety of programs, including meals and food distribution, emergency shelter, job skills training, and residential recovery programs.
- Shelter, Inc. – Help host a theme party for kids of homeless families living in Shelter, Inc’s garden apartment complex in Antioch.
- Toys for Tots – Make cuddly flannel teddy bears as Christmas toys for needy children in Contra Costa County. (On LUMC Campus)
Registration forms and flyers are available by clicking the link below. Everyone in the community is welcome to join us, so feel free to invite your friends & neighbors. Deadline for registration is January 20. Questions? Call Pat Hershey at (925) 988-0876.
Change the World Day – 2011
Saturday, June 25, 2011 fifty-four members of our church family gathered for breakfast and worship and then scattered to serve six agencies in Contra Costa County.
Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano Counties -
Sixteen members sorted and boxed 2,234 pounds of donated food at the Food Bank warehouse in Concord. This was the equivalent of 1,787 meals.
Monument Crisis Center on LUMC Campus –
Seven members bagged 593 lbs. of rice & beans to serve 175 families. Upon the delivery of the food, members toured the facility and learned about the food distribution program, the twice-monthly “Senior Moment” (food distribution plus themed party-like gatherings for seniors with bingo games), homework tutoring, summer camp for children age 6-12, teen program, English-language instruction, employment assistance, and much more.
Juvenile Hall of Contra Costa County –
Five persons cleaned up weeds and overgrowth in an outdoor area which is part of the Juvenile Hall complex in Martinez. They learned about the needs of the youth residing in Juvenile Hall, and how the Juvenile Hall Auxiliary is working to provide assistance to at-risk, foster care and abused or abandoned kids.
Bay Area Rescue Mission –
Seven persons prepared and served lunch for 50 people at Bay Area Rescue Mission’s Richmond facility. They peeled potatoes and rolled pizza dough, served lunch, and toured the men’s living quarters, garden, lunchroom, and warehouse. They learned about programs for the homeless, addicted, unemployed, hungry, undereducated, and children.
Eleven team members hosted a hot dog barbeque and games event for homeless families living in Shelter, Inc.’s garden apartment complex in Antioch.
Toys for Tots
Eight persons made 18 cuddly flannel teddy bears as Christmas toys for needy children in East Contra Costa County.